Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Savage Inequalities

So I went to see Jonathan Kozol speak at Cornell last week, and it was pretty fantastic. I have read one of his books, The Shame of the Nation, and figured his talk was going to be a super-depressing, statistic-packed diatribe against racism and the resegregation of American public schools. The talk turned out to be very anecdotal and almost as funny as depressing. I learned a lot about the man himself, his roots in the civil rights movement, his roots as a High School English teacher, and his family. The recording that I got seems to be pretty good, I got really good seats and sat almost directly under the PA system in the high,vaulted ceiling. At 4:15 maybe an hour or so before he went on, the place was nearly empty. Courtney and I waltzed down to our ideal seats like we were 20 minutes early for Flubber , but by 5 the place was packed and by the time Kozol actually went on at 5:10 or so there were people standing all over the aisles. My girlfriend and I estimated that there were far more women than men there, like maybe 3:1 or at least 2:1, and not too many African-Americans. His talk went a little over an hour and there was no time for question and answer afterwards.

The biggest thing that I got out of the lecture was a renewed interest in Teach-for-America or a related program. My primary objective as a teacher is to make a difference and I think starting in poor underprivileged communities is a great way to do that. It is certainly not for everyone, it might not even be for me. But the greatest injustices that we as Americans serve to our fellow Americans comes in the form of school segregation, inequitable funding strategies, and depriving millions of young children of the opportunity to a sound education simply because of their income level or skin color. Kozol believes that universal education should be guaranteed to each and every American as a fundamental right, to be included even in the Bill of Rights. And I for one, agree with him. If these inner-city schools are never funded appropriately they are far less likely to attract the kinds of teachers necessary to help affect change. Just think about how the NCLB sanctions for low test scores are rooted in funding, and try to figure out how schools that are doing poorly because of a lack of funding can possible benefit from losing more funding, they can't. The whole idea is ridiculous, cruel and to me unacceptable. So here's a link to Teach for America, for those of you who don't know what it is or would like to find out more. By the way Kozol didn't really plug Teach-For-America, but a local Chapter at Cornell helped sponsor the event and a spokeswoman for them talked for a minute after he was done.

5 comments:

jennifer wasser said...

Joe,
I really enjoyed reading your post about having seen Jonathan Kozol at Cornell last week, and I am ashamed to say that I really did not know who he was until you mentioned him last week in class. I agree with you entirely about the educational injustices that are affecting so many children in our country. It's preposterous. While I've never seriously considered applying to Teach for America, out of fear that I would get placed somewhere I didn't feel comfortable (silly, I know), I have actually dreamed of teaching in an inner-city school since I was in junior high. It was great to read your views on the current state of our educational system.
In addition, I just wanted to comment on your podcast. Your effort and time were evident in the final product. I did not use too many images in mine, but I saw how powerful your's was when pairing so many quick flashes of images with your voice in the background. You absolutely captured a mood of the flat world, and it was clear that you have a great deal to say on the matter. Excellent job!

Tracie said...

Joe, are you going to post the Kozol audio somewhere for us to hear? I am definitely interested in hearing it.

I looked into Teach for America after I graduated with my BA from IC. It's actually for people without an ed background who want to teach in at-risk schools. One of the benefits is that they will pay for you to get a master's in ed while you teach. I'm not sure if they would take someone who already has an MAT. However, I'm sure that any one of us could find a job in an inner-city school after this program, as they need teachers so badly. I think it's really admirable that you want to help alleviate the inequalities that are so detrimental to the ed system in this country.

Anonymous said...

Joe, appreciate your comments on Kozol. I wish I had been there with you and Courtney waiting for Flubber! He is truly one of my heroes.

I have supported a number of students in their TFA apps. And one of them is currently teaching in N.C. as a TFA teacher.

I highly recommend the program for anyone who wants to have an adventure and take on important work. It's a great learning experience as well.

Tracie's right about the program. I don't know if they are accepting masters level teachers. They have broadened their base though since they did interview at a SUNY (Oneonta) school and clearly are no longer just interested in liberal arts grads from a few prestigious colleges/universities.

Wendy Kopp is a Princeton grad and early on it was the Ivy League she was proselytizing to join TFA.

Jenn, you're planning to go to Africa!!! Why not N.C.?

K

Anonymous said...

Joe, how do we access the Kozol talk?

Steven said...

great post... see you in class!