Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Sustainability 101

I am planning to do a mini teach-in on sustainable development and communities for my course project. I hope to approach the concept from the basic levels of definitions and examples, and gradually work up to practical advice, a discussion of the Eco-village at Ithaca and its role as something of a pioneer in developing sustainable communities. I would like to provide useful links and references for people who are interested in getting involved in sustainable work in their own community. The final analysis will be involved with various ways that we as teachers can promote sustainability and suatainable living in our own classrooms. I feel that we, as teachers. are in a great position to be the torch bearers of the global initiaitive to promote and support, and even develop a sustainable (or should I say more sustainable) global community. Like so many wonderful causes it is a big job with even bigger consequences, and I think that teachers can be major players in the fight for this planet. I found this cool, funny flash animation that helps make the point, check it out, it's superfresh!! Enjoy the Wombat of Oneness!!!

5 comments:

Steven said...

Is that ice cream and Guinness in the flicker pic? Wow what a combo! ... ok the wombat was kinda groovy too. I'm still a little unclear on the global thing... is it the John Lennon groovy peace type thing? Listen to Imagine ThisI'm down with the groovy peace type thing… I'm just afraid that it won't work… I guess I have become a cynical old fart after all. Hey by the way check out my new blogSensory Offense

Sarah said...

Joe,
I heard that IC is having a "Sustainability Day" or something on Wednesday. Might be something you'd be interested in.

Steven said...

I am afraid of what it would take for the human race to actually adopt a global consciousness. I don't think that common threat or problem will even bring it about. There are many common threats and problems now such as disease, war, hunger, global warming, the poisoning of the earth and the depletion of natural resources. These problems are not deemed serious enough to be valid, especially by those in power. The problems are not going away and neither are those in power. I fear that in order for the human race to adopt a true global consciousness it would take nothing less than an epic tragedy of biblical proportion or a common enemy like the lizard creatures in Mel Gibson's Signs. In many ways, the animals are better off, not having developed highly cognitive human functions like selfishness, greed or hate. As long as we remain "human" the human problem will remain. It is truly unfortunate for the animals that they are not smart enough to eliminate the human problem. Lobotomies and shock treatments for everyone! Ok, throw pessimism and extreme sarcasm in along with the other highly developed cognates.

Steven said...

...Ok, I'm not sure that pessimism and extreme sarcasm are cognates or if they even share a common etymology with signifiers in other languages. Unfortunately, they sure as hell have something in common globally in thought... Damn language anyway.

Dave E. said...

If we can't save the world for ourselves, can't we at least think about the tacos?