Friday, April 27, 2007

A Ray of Sunshine

My girlfriend, Courtney, has been visiting her family and friends on the West Coast for a while now. Far too long, for my tastes, because I really miss her. Part of the reason she went out there was to get the car that her mother bought for her as a graduation present and drive it back to Ithaca. Remarkably, the car that her mom got her is a green, '68 VW Bus. I saw the thing last year when we were out there and it is pretty amazing. It has all of the amenities of the classic camper, and from what I understand her Mom has spent the last year repairing and restoring the hell out of it. I, for one, am very excited about it, as if seeing my baby for the first time in 2 months wasn't enough.

Here's a pic of "the Bus" we took when we were out in Cali last summer.




So as I write they are together (Courtney and her mom) driving back East. And while I was composing that last post (you know the sad and bitter one about how crappy our President is), she called to tell me a little anecdote from the road.

Court said that she was driving her VW Bus through her old school's parking lot in Arkansas, en route to visit some of her old teachers I guess. And she drove by a group of Sixth graders walking into the school, like 12 and 13 year olds, Arkansas natives. And they all waved to her enthusiastically and threw up Peace Signs with their little 12-year-old hands. She was surprised and thrilled to say the least. So stoked that she called me.

Isn't that cool that a bunch of kids from Arkansas associate "the Bus," as we have been calling it, with Peace. There is hope for us humans I think. And everytime I get a chance to interact with kids I am reminded of that. It is one of the many reasons I am so excited to become a teacher. Also, it is pretty weird, that she called to tell me about kids flashing peace signs in Arkansas, as I was writing to advocate Peace on my blog from my laptop in Ithaca. So yeah...like I said before...

Peace.

2 comments:

Andy said...

We gotta take this sum bitch to some far off land this summer.

P.S. Kids ARE cool!

Ms. Moerman said...

Thanks Joe. I, too, like my title. It's growing on me. I think I mentioned that in my newest post.